Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Agent Skully's T-shirt and Cardigan

I like skulls. I like things with skulls on them. I am not goth, punk or anything dark. I just like skulls. Is that so wrong? I especially like smiling skulls.

When I came upon Debi's Design Diary's tutorial on sugar skull t-shirts, I was in 7th heaven!!! If you haven't checked out Debi's blog yet, get there asap. She makes the coolest things. I love how she thinks. Plus, she has this awesome, vintage, repurposed store. Sigh. She has my dream job. But she has a great tutorial on how to make these super cool sugar skull t-shirts. You can find it here.

I found a long sleeve white t-shirt in the thrift store one day for just a buck. I used lace from a vintage stash I had plus I purchased some that I thought would be perfect for my sugar skull. The Martha Steward decoupage lace at Michael's was the optimum choice for the eyes and nose of my skull. I followed Debi's steps and the result was my super cool t-shirt.


I love the shirt so much! When you wash this shirt, do not dry it. Hang it up to dry. Once I made the shirt, I knew I wanted more. So I took the skull pdf pattern that Debi provided and made it smaller in Photoshop. I printed out the smaller version and cut a skull out of lace. I then took a thrift store cardigan that originally had a beaded bow on the left side. I cut the thread from the bow so the beads would come off, but there still was a pattern left on the cardigan. 

I glued on the smaller lace skull where the bow was. Once that was done, I added some Simplicity iron on studs to compliment my smiling lace skull. 




Love, love, love this cardigan. But I have skull fever and I don't think I am done yet. I found  a great vintage teal 80s dress that would provide the perfect skull over a black or even a hot pink t-shirt. 

Make sure you visit Debi's Design Diary soon for to learn how to make your sugar skull t-shirt. She has a lot of other great things that I know you will want to make as well.

Happy thrifting from your snow shoveling, parka wearing, skull loving friend of the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment