Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Anarchy Sweater

Don't you just hate it when all you want is a burgundy cardigan with faux leather patches on it and you can't find it anywhere? Why is it that the only place it exists is in your creative imagination? You walk through store after store after store and you just can't find it anywhere. You do searches on the web and while you do find an acceptable solution, it is WAY out of your budget.

What? You don't have this problem? I thought everyone wandered the earth in search of a burgundy cardigan with faux leather patches. Huh. Silly me.

Well, I do. Or so I did. Until I finally gave in and went to the thrift store and found a cream colored cardigan that I introduced to a bottle of RIT burgundy dye. I was so dye happy, that I forgot to take a before picture. But I did take a picture of the process.

Yes, the bucket in the sink looked like a bloody mess. I highly recommend doing this process while watching Sons of Anarchy. This way, the bloody mess in the sink will not look unlike that of the crazy drama that ensues on Sons. Every commercial break, go and stir the mix. Use very hot water and salt. When you are done, roll the sweater in a black or red towel and air dry. Once it is dry, wash the sweater in cold with the red or black towel to get out any excess dye. Again, air dry that sweater.

I added two strips of faux black leather down the sleeves. Of course, the buttons on the sweater turned pink rather than burgundy, so I substituted them with black buttons. The end result was exactly what was living inside my imagination.




The great thing about this sweater, in addition to it being vintage, is that it is 100% cotton. Love a cotton sweater!!!!! (play Weezer song here) Don't be afraid to grab that packet of dye to make something the color that you want it to be. Leather patch sweaters fetch hefty price in stores currently. This one cost me $7.50. Not too shabby. And the mess was probably easier for me to clean up than the one Jax Teller had to deal with.

Happy thrifting from your burgundy friend of the north. Stay classy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment