Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Happy Rex Manning Day!

Last week we took a trip back to the 80s to visit Cindy Mancini's closet in Can't Buy Me Love. This week we are sprinting with love into the 90s, the decade of grunge. I heart the 90s. I was a child of the 80s and a girl of the 90s.

I loved the grunge look, the grunge music. I found this little plaid, wrap skirt straight out of the 90s.



So little and cute and so very EMPIRE RECORDS!!!!!

Now, this little plaid wonder may have fit me 20 years ago, but now, not so much. But if you unbuttoned the wrap and brought together the two sides in the center, the skirt would fit! I just needed a way to make it stay together without the buttons. Plus, it was a little on the short side for an old girl like myself.

I added a faux leather portion to the bottom of the skirt to lengthen it a bit. Then I added a metal zipper to the center portion.

Of course, the total Empire outfit wouldn't be complete without a blue, fuzzy sweater. So I found a blue fuzzy turtleneck sweater. I was too scissor happy to take a before picture. I cut the neck of the sweater off and slashed it up the back where the back zipper was. I then took some seam binding and hemmed the neckline and now cardigan edges. Once those were finished, I added some faux leather trim that was remaining from the scraps I used on the bottom of the skirt.


Young and fresh. Empire Records.


My modern take on the Liv Tyler outfit. Nice schoolgirl blouse underneath the edgy fuzzy cardigan and the cool re-styled skirt.

It is a little more secretary-friendly than Liv's outfit. But still retro, old school 90s style. This doesn't mean I will be shaving my head Robin Tunney style. Nor will I be dancing on top of a building roof like Renee Zellweger, at least I won't be caught doing so anyway! 


Happy Rex Manning Day!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment