Monday, April 7, 2014

Glamping Cosmetic Brush Roll

I am a makeup junkie. I will not deny it. I whole heartedly accept this vain fault. Just try and tease me with a new lip gloss or worse yet, eye shadow. I will snatch that puppy out of your hands like a dog who hasn't had a meal in 3 days. Because of my 'habit', I try to take the best possible care of my cosmetics. I store them in a vintage train case. I clean my brushes regularly. If I travel, my makeup comes in with me before my clothing luggage. If there were a fire and I had 30 seconds to leave, you can bet that train case would be in my hands.

I like to put a cloth down on my dressing table when I put my makeup on. I carefully lay out the cosmetics I will be using. But recently I decided not just any old cloth will do any longer. So I decided to 'multi-task' and make a pretty makeup pad that doubles as a brush holder.

I went to my favorite fabric store in the entire state of North Dakota-Sew On Sew North, located on Main Street in Langdon. It was there that I found pink glamping fabric by Moda. Perfect for the makeup junkie that I am. I only purchased half a yard for this project. Also needed were double fold pink seam binding, felt and silk ribbon.

I cut two pieces of fabric in size 16"x12" and one piece 16"x7". I cut the felt in the 16"x12". First, I sewed a seam binding across the top of the  16"x7" piece. This will be the pocket.


Once that was stitched, I put one 16"x12" piece on top of the piece of felt and then the pocket piece on top of that, lined up with the bottom. Pinning them all together, I stitched the sections in the pocket for the makeup brushes.


Once the sections were stitched in the pocket, I put the the other 16"x12" piece on the bottom with the right side facing down. I pinned them together and pinned the seam binding all around the sides. On the  left side, I added two strips of silk ribbon for the tie and pinned it with the seam binding.


Once it was stitched and all thread was cut, I rolled it up and tied it into a pretty bow.


Not only do I have an organized way of finding my brushes, I have a cute pad to lay my favorite cosmetics on.



Happy glamping from your thrifty buddy in the north, still waiting for spring flowers!



No comments:

Post a Comment