Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Bohemian Rhapsody

Remember when you were in elementary school and one of the first books ever read to you or that you learned to read was The Little Engine That Could? The heartwarming children's story of a little train  that puffed it's way up the mountain remains in memory with that that one line.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can......

Such was the case when I went thrifting a week ago on a rainy day during my lunch break. I was browsing through the dresses at Second Impressions and came across this dress with an AWESOME print. I was in love. I seriously heard harps playing. Really.


I absolutely loved the colors, the print, the fabric, the length, the style. What I didn't love was the tag that contained the size inside the dress. It definitely was not my size. I sighed and put it back on the rack, but before I left the store, I ran back and grabbed it.

I know I am not the only woman who has purchased a dress in hopes of fitting into it someday. And I have been watching what I eat lately. But even if I dieted well into the winter, never cheating, it might just be a year before I lost enough to fit into this dress. Sometimes I can be rather impatient, especially if I see something I want to wear RIGHT NOW.

I tried the dress on and it fit to a certain extent, that extent being it wouldn't zip all the way up the side. So, like the little engine, I tried and tried to get the zipper up, all the while saying to myself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

In the end, I knew I couldn't. I was beat. It was either 6 months straight of only melba toast and cottage cheese or the alternative. Elastic.

Out came the scissors and slashed away the upper part of the dress. I was careful not to hurt the colorful waistband. I removed the side zipper entirely and then stitched up the side where the zipper once had been.  On each side of the bottom remaining portion, I added elastic to the colorful waist band. 

I then dug through my re-style stash and found a simple black knit top. I made a line with tailor's chalk across the top where I intended to cut it in half.

I then stitched the black top to the bottom portion of the dress. I used a stretch stitch when I went over the elastic in the waist.



Not wanting to waist one bit of that awesome print, I removed part of the sleeves from the original top portion of the dress and added them to the sleeves of the black top. Since I plan on wearing a belt around the waist, the elastic will not be showing. Once I do lose a healthy amount of weight, I will remove the elastic and stitch the waist band back together.



The end result is a funky, bohemian print dress that will look great with boots and a long, beaded necklace. Ultimately, a black floppy hat and large shades would complete the look, but I don't think my children would ride in the same car with me if I wore a floppy black hat. They tend to be embarrassed when I wear hats around them in public. 

With the added elastic and the stretchy knit of the black top, I am now able to comfortably wear the dress and even manage to breathe! I am so glad I didn't leave this little baby behind because of a silly sizing issue.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment