Thursday, September 26, 2013

Text Print Fabric Infinity Scarf

Not to sound too much like John Mellencamp, but I was born in a small town in North Dakota. My parents still live in the same small town.

I could go on and say that's probably where they'll bury me, but that would be too depressing. And I am not that big of  a John Mellencamp fan.

The small town where I grew up was the typical small town in rural North Dakota. It has it's fair share of churches, bars and of course, a grain elevator. Through the years, businesses on Main Street have held shoe stores, dress boutiques, bakeries, hardware stores, drug stores, florist shops, bars, department stores, bars, appliance stores and the coolest movie theatre a kid could ever dream of seeing E.T. The Extra Terrestrial on a big screen. Well, the screen was pretty big to me.

Through all the changing tides of my small town's main street, it has remained a busy and integral part of the town. It still holds a nostalgic feel for those who live there and those who come back to visit. And recently, it became home to a fabric store. Gasp!!!

When I heard the news that a fabric store had opened up in my small town's main street, I couldn't put gas in my tank fast enough. They had me at 'fa-'. And it is not just any fabric store. There are very unique prints of fabric in this store. It is a very happy place for me.

It was there that I found this Cynthia Rowley fabric that I used to recover my comfy sewing chair.



Last week I made the trip up north again to see family and of course, just had to go in to Sew On Sew North and see Peggy, the owner of the store. There I found fabulous fat quarters and this cool text print fabric. I wasn't sure what I was going to make with it at the time, but by the time I had reached my parking spot at home, I had a plan in my head. 

I decided to make an infinity scarf. These are great to make with cotton fat quarters or cotton fabric because you can throw it in the washer and dry it when it gets dirty. Normally this project would work best with three fat quarters or one yard and a half of fabric, but I cut my yard into three fat quarters and stitched them together. Next, I folded the long, sewn together piece in half and stitched across the top to form a tub.

Once the tub was formed, I removed the pins. Leaving the tub with the wrong side out, I started from the right side and pulled the left side through the tube to the right side.

I then lined up both sides so that the right sides were facing each other. I pinned 3/4 of the side, pinning 4 pieces together. I then stitched down the side.

Once that side was stitched, I removed the pins and pulled the scarf through the small opening I left.



This is what it looked like when I had it all pulled through.

I then top-stitched the remaining pieces together. You can also slip stitch this, but if you are lazy sometimes like myself, then this works also.

This scarf is perfect for many different outfits, from casual denim jackets to work outfits, and even to the currently very trendy military jackets.





Sew happy with my selection of fabric. I also made a few scarves with several different prints of fat quarters. These would make excellent Christmas gifts, so go and stock up with fat quarters or yardage right away and get stitching! Sew On Sew North is located on Main Street in Langdon, ND. Look it up on Facebook, drive there and shop away. Tell Peggy I say hi!

Happy thrifting and stitching from your fabric buddy of the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment