Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Better than Sex Blunder

There are two things this girl loves for certain-chocolate and clothes. Too much of one will hinder the use of another. But when a good friend recently told me about Better Than Sex cake, I knew I had to forgo the calories and give it a try. The name itself is intriguing enough, right?

So it was on a fine Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago that I ran to Target in a frenzy to grab the supplies needed to make this fine cake. As soon as I got home, I whipped the items out of the bag and started making this so called orgasmic cake. I admit, I was a little excited. I was like the Swedish Chef whipping ingredients everywhere.  I was so excited I got vegetable oil all over my favorite t-shirt. I didn't notice this until later in the day, after I had already consumed a healthy amount of the cake.

Yes, the cake did live up to it's name. However, in the afterglow of it all, I noticed the two vegetable oil spots on my t-shirt. The shirt is a teal blue colored Zara scoop neck. The fit is divine!  I got the shirt in perfect condition for only $1. Just a buck!!!! So I probably shouldn't have felt as bad as I did about staining it since it only cost a buck. But the fit was so perfect and I loved the color so much and I could make quite a few Better Than Sex cakes for the price of a new Zara shirt.

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of my beloved tee, nor could I cut it up for rags. I left it beside my sewing table so that I could see it's lustrous color every time I walked by. Two weeks later, the light bulb went on and I was out the door to buy some stretch lace.

I decided to cover up the lower half of the shirt with black stretch lace. It would cover up the oil spots and the color contrast would be awesome. I laid out the lace over the shirt and cut enough so it would cover just the lower front half of the tee. I then cut scallops out over the roses on the top and bottom part of the lace.

I thought it would be best to pin the lace to the shirt on my dress form, affectionately named Olga.
Since Olga is set to match my measurements, the t-shirt fit on her like it would on me. Making sure that the stretch lace fit the shirt, I pinned it on the top, sides and bottom. I left the edges raw because I really like the raw effect and also the neckline of the t-shirt has raw edging, courtesy of Zara.



One very important thing to remember when sewing your stretch lace to your stretchy t-shirt is to use a stretchy stitch. You want to set your machine to a stitch that will stretch with the fabric. After all, the lace is positioned across the curvy parts and I will need that particular area to stretch with me.

Once it was finished, I put it back on Olga and was very pleased with the final result. I also made another Better Than Sex cake wearing a not so favorite t-shirt. 

The finished shirt doesn't compare to even one piece of the finished cake.....

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny. How have you lived in ND this long without trying BTS cake??

    ReplyDelete