Monday, July 8, 2013

Save the Vest for Last

I went on vacation last week to the great state of South Dakota and saw maxi skirts everywhere! Some were hi-low style, others straight and long. Having maxi skirt fever, I had a project in my mind before I even returned to the northern part of the Dakotas.

Of course, I was too eager to cut apart my project to take a before picture. My mom had given me a dress she no longer wanted and it was in my 'stash' for quite a while. It was a gorge cream floral dress from Coldwater Creek. It had a rouched top and empire waist. But the dress itself just wasn't me. So I hacked it off right underneath the empire waist. I will save the top portion for later. I'm thinking peplum....

I then created a panel to insert elastic through to form the waistband. I folded over the top portion of the skirt and pinned.

I stitched the panel closed and left two inches open to thread the elastic through. Once it was through, I stitched it closed. BAM! Maxi skirt.

I wanted to add a bit of edge and funky-ness to my maxi. I like denim jackets with maxis, but it is July and a bit warm for the jacket. So I hacked off the sleeves of an old denim jacket and threw it in the washer and dryer for the distressed effect. Next I cut out the panel of the back of the jacket.

Then I added a panel of cream, cotton lace to the top of the back open area. I folded down the edges and stitched around the panel twice on the top. Then I added a bit of lace to the front pocket flaps.
I was planning to add some studs also, but thought the lace was just the effect it needed. I will save the studs for another denim project later.

I put a black tee underneath the vest so that the black would show through the lace panel. Still, the outfit needed one more thing. I added a black belt around the waist and BAM! Denim vest. 






I'm bringing vesty back....

Not too shabby for a project started and completed within 24 hours of returning from vacation.  Go grab a denim jacket and start hacking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment