Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Kick It Out!

Sometimes, the cure for a really, bad, horrible, awful, no-good day can be a quick trip to the thrift store. It is safer than retail therapy at say, a mall or other expensive retail venue. And chances are you will take home much a killer find compared to something that at least 10 other people already have. Yawn.

For Christmas this year, I received a Crossly turntable/stereo. I absolutely love it!!! It looks retro, sounds great and plays both my iPod and vinyl. Can it get any sweeter? I have found that thrift stores are not only the place to find fashionable goods but also great vinyl!

My retro sound machine!
I added my retro sound machine to my 'vintage corner.' This is my little place of relaxation and solitude. It is where I like to read, browse through magazines for creative inspiration, light a little incense and chill to some scratchy vinyl sounds. I love it!

My sweet vintage corner!

Since January, I have been adding to my vinyl collection. Every month I try to have at least one major vinyl score. So far, they have all been pretty diverse, but pleasing to my ears!

January

February

February was a double score with Urban Cowboy and Dolly Parton! Love me some good old country!

Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, JOLEEEENNNNN!

In March, I found an album that not only rocks but has one of the greatest album covers ever, in my humble opinion. Kick it Out for the Wilson sisters of Heart!

Barracuda!!!
Little Queen by Heart. Look at them-they look like beautiful gypsies! The dudes in the background look a little uncomfortable in those tights but who even notices them? It is all about the awesome vocals of Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson's seriously killer guitar. Love this album. Say all you want about iTunes, but you can't fully get the deep track experience like listening to a vinyl album. 

I have also been very lucky to find record sets which were very popular in the 60s and early 70s. 60's instrumental lounge music, big band, retro movie themes-compilations of 5 records in one set were a big deal back then. I love these sets, especially the big band. My vinyl collection is growing every week. Turntables have become very popular and are very hard to find. I also heard that 8-tracks are making a comeback. I don't think I will be heading down that road anytime soon. What is next? Unicorn murals on the sides of mini-vans?

Happy thrifting from your record spinning buddy in the north!







No comments:

Post a Comment