Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The I'm So Sick and Tired of This Parka Peach Faux Fur Coat

While some parts of the world are basking in the early throws of spring sunshine, we northerners are still trudging through the snow, grumbling and groaning and wondering if spring will ever show even the slightest hint of an arrival. We eagerly anticipate sunshine, warmer temperatures and thaw while at the same time we brace ourselves for Mother Nature's last cruel joke upon us. Yes, we North Dakotans are hearty folk.

It is about this time every year, after enduring the sub-zero temperatures of January and February, that I throw my winter coat down in protest. This year is not unlike any other and despite any forecast the weatherman may give, I have hung up my parka in utter protest. I simply will not wear that bulky monstrosity any further.

However since the weather still is not balmy enough for spring jackets and lightweight coats just yet, I decided to make a coat that was warm enough for the March climate but different in color and texture. I found the Burda pattern for a fur coat and purchased a lightweight, peach colored faux fur off of the red tag fabric section. Affordable faux fur is hard to come by but this was just the right weight for spring.

Using Burda's fur coat pattern from the January 2014 issue, I created a coat almost light as a jacket yet warm enough for North Dakota March. The peach color was just right for spring. This was one of the most easy coat patterns I had ever made. I used a gray flannel for the lining because it was available in my stash and I love the feel of flannel, no matter what time of year. It is the 90's girl in me. Normally, I hate to sew lining in coats but this was so simple. I am definitely marking this pattern and coming back to it in September to make a faux leopard fur coat for fall.



I added an extra length to the cuff and rolled it up.




Rather than using hook and eye closures as the pattern suggested, I used buttons with a vintage flair to them and elastic cord. I have a faux fur black coat that is vintage with similar style of closures and wanted the same effect as that one. I think mint green accessories would be the ultimate touch to this little number. Perhaps it will put 'spring' in my step as we wait for the one last snowstorm that we know Mother Nature will throw at us.

Until she does, happy thrifting from your bitterly sick of winter buddy in the north!


No comments:

Post a Comment