Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fashionable Art

If I have learned anything this week, it is #1-double check your skirt to make sure it isn't stuck in your spanx before leaving the ladies room and #2-it is very good to stray from your comfort zone.

I have had a wall art project in my head since earlier this spring. The only problem was I needed a specific size of frame to complete the project and I hadn't seen any I liked. Normally, I seek project assistance in my usual thrift store haunts. However I was recently given an invitation to try something new and I eagerly obliged.

Meet Amanda. She owns a local thrift store called Second Impressions. I had never been to her store before and she extended the invitation to me to come and visit, I grabbed the chance. Her store is clean, smells great, well organized and most important of all, is very affordable. I know that thrift stores are supposed to all be affordable, but many are not. Amanda's store is exactly how a thrift store should be. Plus, if you are looking for something specific, call Amanda and she will check to see if she has it. If she doesn't, she will keep her eye out for it and let you know if she does. Now THAT is customer service!!!

Tucked in a corner I found the exact size frame I needed. I even dug out my handy tape measure from the bottom of my purse (see that studded Betsey bag on the counter) and TA DA! The measurements added up. I ended up taking the frame home along with some wearable goodies.


I needed to paint the frame white in order for my project to take the shape of what I wanted it to be. So I bent back the heavy staples that held the back of the frame in place. I thought that if I bent them back, I would be able to use them when I put everything back together in the frame. Big mistake. Huge. I ended up breaking the glass because I left the staples in. When you are re-using a picture frame, such as this, make sure you use pliars to remove the staples. It will make removing the glass so much easier. Fortunately for me, I went back to Amanda and admitted my stupid mistake. She had another frame for me that would work just as well. Whew.

It took three paints of white acrylic paint and my frame was transformed. I covered the photo in the frame with batting and covered it with a beautiful floral Vera Neumann silk scarf. 

A scarf, you ask? Vera Neumann? If you don't know who Vera Neumann is, it is time for a little history lesson in vintage fashion. Vera was born in 1907. She married a man named George Neumann whose family was involved in textiles. The couple started with a small silkscreen printing press on their dining room table that was only large enough to make linen placemats. They then cured these placemats in their own oven! When WWII rations were taking place, Vera was scrambling to find fabrics and supplies for her placemats. She then came across some parachute silk at an army surplus store and BAM! Her famous scarves were born. She believed that art belonged on fashion. In the 50s and 60s, Vera scarves were a significant sign of the well dressed woman. Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe both loved to wear Vera fashions. She even started creating dresses and other items of clothing as well. You can find her signature at the corner of her scarves and the coolest ones have her trademark ladybugs.




If you are a Mad Men fan such as I, you probably have seen Joan Holloway wearing Vera scarves or tying them onto the handles of her handbags. Megan Draper was wearing a Vera sundress in the season 6 trip to Hawaii.

Vera scarves are beautiful and very unique. They are art. I like to wear them in my hair. And now, I like to frame them and put them on my wall.




For Vera Neumann, art belonged on fashion. For me, Vera fashion is now art. So the next time you are digging through your grandma's or mother's scarves and come across a Vera, grab it. Tie it on your purse handle, roll it up and put it in your hair and if you truly love it, frame it and put it on the wall.



No comments:

Post a Comment