Monday, August 26, 2013

Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me A Match!

There is a black hole in my closet where things seem to get sucked into if I don't wear them for more than 6 months. The majority of items lost to this hole are jeans. I keep holding onto my jeans hoping that I will one day fit into them again. Then there are the jeans that were too large that I keep for fear that if I throw them, I will eventually need them by gaining more weight. I feel that I will 'curse' myself if I throw away my larger size jeans.

I know I am not the only one who believes this. It is not an old wives tale. Doesn't every woman have three sets of clothes? I have the 'medium size Kristen' set, the 'large size Kristen' set and of course, the 'extra large Kristen' set. I never really know at which given time of the year I will be in which set. Therefore it is best to have a large closet and a fully stocked set for each size.

A woman's closet will never truly be as large as she wants it. Sigh. In this case, size really does matter.

Back to the black hole. Sometimes, when I am creating something or thinking of creating something, I will remember that certain piece of clothing that will work just right for the project. Then I realize that it may be located in the black hole. I then have to take a deep breath and let someone I love know I am going into the hole, in case I get swallowed and never return. They might never find me for months if I didn't do this.

Last weekend I was inspired by this awesome little sundress of the Liberty of London line for Target. Liberty of London is well known for its beautiful prints and this little number is a good example. How funky is this print?

Love the colors, love the print and love the ruffles. I don't love the sundress-type top of the dress. A girl as lusty and busty as myself could not pull that off. So I ate pizza and thought about it. I watched some television and thought about it. I read a book made up of supposedly humorous essays and thought about it. I went to the gym and thought about it and BAM! I knew what I had to do. I had to go into the hole.

So I dug and dug and found the perfect pair of denim jeans that would go splendid with this print. Jeans and a sundress you ask? Tsk, tsk you say. But no tsk, tsk once my scissors start to do their job.

I hacked off the dress at a part of the ruffles that were wide enough to fit around the upper portion of the jeans. 


I then hacked off the bottom portion of the jeans. Are you feeling me yet?


I then put the two together in holy matrimony, stitched on top of the already existing ruffle to look like it was made to be there and I then pronounced the pair an adorable, unique, Liberty of London print ruffle denim skirt. It was so beautiful, I shed a tear. 



Alas, the jeans were in the hole for a reason. They were a former size of Kristen that I knew I wouldn't see again for awhile, despite the new workout video I bought last week. So this lovely little number is now at Second Impressions Thrift Store waiting for a new home. I think it would look smashing with a lovely teal or hot pink cardigan, tights and boots. And if you take it home, give it lots of love, will ya? 

Ah, the ups and downs of matchmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment