Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Boyfriend/Grandpa Jacket

It's early fall here in North Dakota and when you wake up in the morning, you don't know if the temperature will be 90 by late afternoon or stay at 45 like it is in the morning. One can never tell. When I leave for work in the morning, I always have to have some kind of jacket as it is chilly. Lately, by late afternoon, the jacket is always carried home with me on my arm as it is a complete temperature change from the morning.

Sometimes I struggle with what kind of jacket will work with my work clothes. I want something that I can wear with work or casual clothes. I found just the thing I was looking for the other day at Second Impressions.

This kind of a jacket is called, in trendy description, the 'boyfriend jacket.' Most boyfriend jackets sold for women resemble men's suit jackets and are a bit oversized, yet slightly fitting. I found an actual men's suit jacket with the fabric in perfect condition, slightly oversized yet just fitting enough to work with what I have to wear.

The only thing wrong with this jacket were the gold buttons. A little on the tacky side for my taste. 


Since the purpose of the jacket is to be oversized and roomy, the sleeves are usually rolled up. I removed the gold buttons on the sleeve cuff and left them off. I exchanged the gold buttons on the front with some basic black buttons.


Bam! The perfect jacket to throw on in cool, chilly mornings and late evenings. This works great over your t-shirt and jeans or with a cotton top and skirt. Anyway you want to wear it, this jacket works. It is the ultimate multi-tasker. And I got it for the bargain price of $5!

The original tag was still on the inside of the jacket. It came from a local men's suit store called Silverman's. Silverman's has since gone out of business, but back in the day, it was THE place in town for gentlemen to buy their suits. Since the tag showed the jacket's age, I have decided to call this jacket the 'Grandpa' jacket rather than the boyfriend jacket.

And since my friend requested that I take a picture of myself in my after shots rather than always on Helga or Olga the dress forms, I had my son take a picture of me in my new grandpa jacket with my favorite thrifting find of the week.

I'm really not used to including myself in the picture. But I like how the jacket looks over my pink tee with my new leopard scarf in my hair. I also found this at the thrift store this week and it is my FAVORITE thrifting find of the week.

I paired it with my new Betsey Johnson sunnies I found on the clearance rack. 
So go dig through your husband's, boyfriend's, father's, uncle's, grandfather's closets and find yourself a boyfriend/grandpa jacket for the fall. 
You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment