Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Right!

What do you get when a hole-y, ragged, black t-shirt meets an elegant, designer t-shirt dress?

HIT IT!

Let's back it up a bit and build up the story to this about-to-blossom romance. Last spring, Target introduced one of their clothing lines where they take an ultra-cool designer who creates a limited edition collection just for Target. Prabal Gurung did this fabulous collection with floral prints and funky designs. Totally thinking it was going to sell like hot cakes, I purchased, at full price mind you, the First Date print dress. Had to have it.

Little did I know that in our neck of the northern woods, the Prabal Gurung line would not sell very well. What??? I know you are as confused as I, right? When Target cannot get rid of their clearance items, they sell them for ultra cheap to an area thrift store. Months later I was perusing through the racks at said thrift store and saw Prabal Gurung dresses. The t-shirt dress that I wanted in the first date print also was there. Significantly marked down with the tags still on it, it wasn't in my size. Sigh. You need a pretty good sized t-shirt dress to fit over these womanly hips.

I like carbs. I won't deny it.

Because I love the print and the fabric so darn much, I snatched that little number up, despite it's fit challenges. I took it home with me and tried to give it some love, but it just wouldn't fit in the places it was supposed to.

Isn't that print awesome? I left the dress on Olga for a few days until the matchmaking spark went off!!!

I have a problem with my t-shirts. They are very temporary as they always seem to end up with a tiny hole in the lower center portion of the shirt. It's a mystery to me. Since I cannot seem to throw ANY clothing away with a simple small hole in it, I knew that my black, hole-y t-shirt would be just the perfect match for this lovely print.


I hacked off the lower portion of the t-shirt almost right below the bust line. I then hacked off the top portion of the t-shirt dress that contained the sleeves that would never fit me and then the lower portion of the dress I knew I could never pull over my womanly hips. I left the bottom floral peplum for a future project. 

I stitched the black t-shirt to the top of the printed tube portion of the dress. I used a stretch stitch to join the two in wedded bliss. I cannot tell you how I like to wear things that stretch in certain areas. I hemmed the bottom of the printed portion and it was a match made in heaven!!!



Whether it is Ryan Reynolds crooning to Sandra Bullock from the makeshift bed on the floor or DJ EZ Rock & Rob Base, one thing is for certain. It really DOES take two to make a thing go right!
And this shirt is outta sight!!!!
Hit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment