Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cindy Mancini's Jacket

I was a child of the '80s, a girl of the '90s and a woman of the new millennium. I used my fair share of aqua net hairspray, plastered Johnny Depp posters from 21 Jump Street on my wall and watched many a teen heartthrob movie well before the 1990 calendar ever turned over. When I recently came across a vintage, suede, fringe jacket while thrifting, I was instantly transformed back to one of the greatest 80s teen flicks ever.



Oh yeah. That's Cindy Mancini in her mom's suede fringe jacket before the red wine gets spilled on it and before she tries to get the store to give her a new one and before Patrick Dempsey uses all his lawn mowing money to 'buy' her as his social entrance to the popular world. The movie is Can't Buy Me Love and it is a classic. Before Patrick Dempsey was McDreamy, he was little nerdy Ronald Miller. There are some star studded cameos in this flick also. Little Seth Green played Ronald's younger brother and Mr. Rico Suave himself, Gerardo, was one of the popular jocks.


As you can see in the picture, I was a little scissor happy before I remembered to take a before picture. I  am not too crazy about all the fringe, but the jacket fabric is fabulous. I removed the fringe from all around the jacket and headed to the fabric store for some sherpa fleece. I had a little sticker shock when I saw that the sherpa was $17 a yard!!! Fortunately I only needed 1/4 yard so my jacket re-style didn't break the bank.  I sewed the fleece onto the jacket like I would seam binding. I left the neckline fleece free. And because I had a little bit left over, I added some to the cuffs.



Modernized and very practical for the current climate. It isn't anything that will make Patrick Dempsey show up on a riding lawn mower and whisk me off into the sunset, but it will do for a date night or two. 

Happy thrifting from your 80s reminiscing friend of the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment