Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Bag Made for Junking!

This weekend I am heading to an outdoor flea market appropriately called Junkfest. It is a fabulous sale with shabby chic treasures and antiques clustered all over the county fairgrounds in Carrington, ND.

'Junkers' need to pursue serious junking strategy. Get up early, drink lots of coffee to stay awake and have the energy to push through the crowd and wear appropriate, comfortable, cool clothing. Cool as in cool and funky! And because you want your cash close at hand to pay the vendors for the many treasures you will be bringing home and joyfully explaining their value when your husband and children ask you 'why?', you want a cross body purse. This keeps your arms free to look at all the different items and to carry your purchases.

I happened to be without a cross body currently and didn't want a big one. Large cross body bags only get in the way and can often be a safety hazard to fellow junkers. This causes dirty looks and even worse, the occasional "Hey, watch it lady."

Since I was saving all my extra cash for junk purchases, I didn't want to buy a new cross body bag. So I decided to make one myself. From this gorge skirt I got at the recent .99 sale.
It is of the Prabal Gurung line for Target. I love the black and white roses print. So edgy, yet so sweet. I got two of these skirts. Both do not fit me. I have plans for the second that you will see later. This one, I hacked up.

I added faux black leather to the fabric, some black felt for the interfacing and some hot pink jacket fabric for the lining. I used a grommet belt trim from the fabric store as my long strap. For extra edgy-ness, I added some silver studs.



Because of the thickness of the layers, I used a denim sewing needle on my machine. It still was hard to go thru it all on the sides, so I ended up hand stitching the sides at the end. The end result is a very cool,  very edgy, cross body purse perfect for keys, phone, and plenty of cash to bring home vintage treasures!

Happy junking to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment