Friday, September 20, 2013

Zelda's Transformation

Two weeks after I brought her home from Junkfest, Zelda is on the wall and transformed in all of her glory. Here she is before:

I dug through a box of vintage magazines I had picked up at another junk sale a few years back. I found a 1919 September issue of Pictoral Review. The print and the advertisements in the pages were perfect for Zelda's new look. After a quick trip to Michael's to purchase a very large container of Mod Podge, I was ready to go to work.

I covered my table with wax paper because working with Mod Podge is messy, especially when you are using such an amount. I cut my pages out ahead of time and tried to have a variety of shapes as it would look better to have a combination of different ads and text. I used a lot of ads for corsets, soap, toilette water, shoes, cars, baby food and even a wedding dress. 

The process itself was quite messy, but the end result was worth the sticky mess. I had glue all over my arms. One piece of advice if you are doing a decoupage project of this size-wash your hands periodically throughout the entire process. This makes it easier to handle the newsprint. Otherwise it will end up sticking to your fingers and ripping. 




I let her 'cure' on the table for at least 24 hours before I hung her back on the wall. I had planned to cover her with vintage lingerie, but I loved the look of the text so much, I decided to leave her without clothes, for now. But accessories always make the look, so I gave her a flapper headband that had  vintage millinery plumes and some long pearls.





She looks quite cozy and stylish next to my display of vintage hats and purses.


She is also placed right next to my sewing area so she is the perfect 'muse' for future stitching and creating! The boys still think she is creepy with even her new newsprint look, but I think she is smashing, old sport!

Happy thrifting from your mod podging friend of the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment