Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Thrifter's Paradise

As summer fades off into the sunset and autumn looms in the not so far distance, temperatures start to get a little cooler. Children head back to school, men park in front of the television sets with pigskin anticipation and thrifters scavenge the end of season clearance racks and hit the .99 sales.

.99 sales? What? What is a .99 sale? I'll take your .99 sale and lower you half a buck! I hit the .49 sale baby!!!

What can you buy for .49 these days? Seriously. You can't even get a package of gum or a candy bar anymore. If you are lucky, you can wander the earth in search of that old, days gone by, mom and pop owned gas station that will sell you a cold soda for. 50. But anything for .49? Good luck with that.

Unless you hit an end-of-season .49 sale at the local thrift store. Haul that change jar into the coin fairy type dispenser thing at the grocery store and go crazy!!!!!

A few weeks ago I attended such a sale. I was on a thrifting high for at least 3 days following. I couldn't even fit my entire haul onto the kitchen table for a picture!
Just a small fraction of my haul!

I think I will have enough re-style projects to take me well into winter. There were so many things cast away from Target with the tags still attached. Shoes, purses, scarves, coats, shirts, dresses, pants, jeans, skirts, and so much more! I couldn't decide what to cut up first!!!!

The great thing about end of season sales are that you can get some really cool items that you can stash away and next spring, when you are crazy with spring fever, you can take out of the closet and do the happy dance. And if you are truly suffering from the winter blues, take out some of those items in mid January or February and make yourself a cool, new outfit to wear when the snow melts and you can put away that winter parka. I love to order spring fabric in January. I keep it in a visible spot next to my sewing area for the remainder of the winter and when the hint of spring is right around the corner, I stitch myself up a new spring or summer skirt and re-style a new jacket or top to go with it.

We have very long winters here in North Dakota. They can drag on well into April. You have to find hope wherever you can get it!

However, just in time for autumn and denim shirt weather, I found this lovely little sundress in the coolest print. I am just not a good candidate for a sundress, even in the hottest of temps.

I absolutely loved the colors of this dress. It has a hi-low bottom to it and is the most comfortable, soft cotton fabric. I immediately hacked off the top.

Nice knowin' ya, sundress.

I then folded over the top portion of the now skirt to make an elastic casing. I threaded my elastic through the casing once it was sewn to form my waist band. I spent at total of 30 minutes on this groovy project.  I added a denim shirt and a funky belt and I had a new fall outfit, perfect for the still warm temperatures but yet cool enough to be hanging out with the fall temps. 


The creativity is oozing out of control with my haul! If you find yourself an end of season .99 sale, don't shy away. You will be SOOOO glad you hit it next spring when you have a large pile of new, cool outfits to soak up the sun in!

Now scram!  Go out there and hit those sales!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment