Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Junk Fest Finds!

Last weekend there were two events of enormous importance in North Dakota. On one hand we had a young, blonde, country music performer who rhymes every other word in the songs that she writes and sings about her jilted ex-boyfriends. And on the other, we had a spectacular flea market called Junkfest held in Carrington, ND.

This wasn't my first time at the rodeo/Junkfest. I attended two years ago and the crowd this year was double the size I witnessed my first year in attendance. I dare say it rivaled the little blonde girl's song and dance fest. Well, maybe it was close.

I traveled across the North Dakota countryside with my mom and got to the Carrington fairgrounds 30 minutes before the crowd was let past the yellow tape. You have to get to Junkfest early if you want a good spot in line, the chance at the best stuff and an even better chance at not getting trampled. My first pick was this clever little item I plan to hang on my wall.


Hey, if Cinder-freakin-rella sweeps floors, then I should be all the happier when I do so, right?

I also found this awesome pile of Vera Neumann scarves!


If you're droolin', don't worry. Some will find their way to the Pink Hanger Etsy store.

Next up were some vintage dish towels, never used. 


I found six of them. I think they would make great throw pillows or even chair pad covers. The fabric is so sturdy and the colors are so bright!

Because I never have enough time, I thought I would buy some...


I put this little collection of vintage alarm clocks next to my vintage radios.


Every 'junker' has their find of the day. I went to JunkFest hoping to find a vintage mannequin. You know, one with hair and a face that looked like it stepped out of a 1950's/60s department store window. Or was carried out anyway. And then I saw her. She was propped up in a corner, underneath a tent. She was calling to me. I swear I heard my name..."Kristen, Kristen....you have to take me home."


Her name is Zelda. Her art-deco lines and boldness remind me of the flapper era. So I named her after Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott. She did not look like a Daisy to me. She has no arms and no face, but she is a work of art. She is very tall and there is a round hook behind her neck so that she can be hung on the wall.



When I brought her home, my husband and kids were a bit frightened by her 'creepiness' they said. They just didn't see the beauty or the potential in her. She is getting quite the 'body-lift' this weekend. It will be quite the chore and there will be pictures. And a lot of Mod-Podge...

Other finds not quite as spectacular as Zelda included a vintage hat case and a hardcover copy of Valley of the Dolls. 


Nothing like a tawdry story of romance, booze and pills to end a weekend of junking!

1 comment:

  1. HI Kristen,
    Thank you for such a wonderful post about JunkFest! Taylor Swift probably had a FEW more people at her concert (ha ha), but you are right...we DID double the attendance of 2012! Can't wait to see how you transform your Zelda!! Lynette Caylor & the JunkFest Girls

    ReplyDelete