Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Breaking Bad Jacket

Everywhere you turn on the web, there is a story or a comment or a post about the final season of Breaking Bad. 'What will happen?' it asks. 'How will it end?' it reads. I have never watched Breaking Bad before. And then two weeks ago, everything changed. Everything.

I subscribed to Netflix so I could see what all the hub-bub was about. All it took was one episode of Walter White in his tightie whities and I was hooked. I haven't slept much. I find myself turning on Netflix whenever a child is not in the room just to get a few minutes in. I find myself ending sentences in the word 'yo.'

I am currently on season 4. I don't foresee it getting any better.

Somehow, my children have managed to have hot meals, the floors have been vacuumed, clothes have been laundered and I have found some time to sew and do re-styles. The latest piece is a combination of  two different jackets.

I have been looking for an old school, loose fitting, slightly oversized denim jacket. Most likely the optimum jacket would be from the 90s. I consulted my thrifting 'finder,' Amanda from Second Impressions. It took a few weeks, but she found the perfect denim jacket for me. Oversized to the point where I had to take it in and just the right cut and color. I was so excited about it that I started ripping it up before I could even get a before picture. I slashed the sleeves off and took in the sides of the jacket so it fit me better, yet still was a bit relaxed and loose in form. Then I let it sit.

Next, I went to work on the second piece. A black leather jacket. I only wanted the sleeves.

It seemed almost cruel to cut the sleeves off of this fine, leather wonder. But I hacked away.

Next, I added the sleeves to the denim jacket, just like I would if I were sewing a jacket from a pattern. The end result was this rough and tough denim/leather jacket.



I love the look of the two fabrics together. The jacket is cool, funky and yet very warm for the fall months. I can picture it with an infinity scarf, jeans and boots. I can even see it with a skirt and boots. Either way, I will get a lot of wear out of this jacket in the coming months. 

But that would mean I would have to quit watching Netflix, yo.

Happy thrifting from your thrifting buddy of the north!

No comments:

Post a Comment